Monday, July 19, 2010

10PM, What?

Bluehats, tell me this is a joke.

The 10pm start was appreciated tonight - I vegged out with The Bachelorette. I doubt it will be appreciated when the baby cries at 5am tomorrow morning. And how much coffee will I need to make it to the 10:05pm start tomorrow night?

I mean, really? Seven out of the next nine games (in as many days) start after 10pm. Which means they don't end until after midnight.

Forget coffee, I'm going to need something stronger than caffeine.

Dave says I should be happy that, until tonight, I've made it almost 100 games with only one late start. Wait a sec, almost one hundred games? That means I'm more than halfway done.

But I've still got a lot to learn. For instance, I missed Adrian Beltre making contact with his 15th homerun of the season. I asked Dave if he went down on one knee again, and Dave said, "Oh, that was a fastball."

Um, did you hear me correctly hubby? I asked about the batter and you told me about the pitcher.

Apparently Beltre only swings down on one knee if the ball is a "breaking ball". The relationship between pitch and batting form might not be intuitive to me yet, but I do need to keep in mind that four months ago I didn't know what a breaking ball was. For the record, a breaking ball is any pitch that changes direction or height before it crosses the plate. Curveballs and splitters are examples of breaking balls.

Luckily I'll have a week and a half of late night cram sessions to learn more.

1 comment:

  1. Will, spencerport nyJuly 20, 2010 at 9:54 PM

    Hi Alli!
    Last night was the first game of the season I missed. I just could not do it. hey, summer daddy day care starts at 7 am. I did watch the condensed game via MLB.tv this morning over coffee. The whole west coast thing bums me out. Looking forward to the day game tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete