Thursday, February 11, 2010

One Week Until Pitchers and Catchers

So yesterday Regis Philbin announced that there are only seven days until PITCHERS AND CATCHERS. I was overtaken, but not with excitement. Dread, panic, nausea- take your pick.

As evidenced by my source for sports news (Live with Regis and Kelly), I am not exactly a baseball fan. I grew up under the roof of one, I married one, and I even pretend to be one as I enjoy my beer and peanuts at Fenway. But to be honest, I have trouble getting into the sport.

I am hoping that will change.

In January I made a proclamation to my husband Dave. I would watch or listen to every Red Sox game of the 2010 season and keep a blog about what I learned. Maybe I wanted a New Year’s resolution that didn’t require immediate action. Maybe I enjoyed Julie and Julia (woman cooks and blogs her way through Julia Child’s cookbook) a little too much. I certainly didn’t think about what a HUGE commitment I was making.

162 games in the regular season. 24 games in April alone. Not only is this going to take away from my reality TV addiction, it is going to be a LOT of baseball. As I type this I’m wondering whether I should hit delete and just quit before too many people know about my commitment. Dave keeps saying he won’t hold it against me if I don’t take on the challenge.

But I want to like baseball. I want to understand how to calculate an ERA (can you do that?), what a ground-rule double is (if that is even the right term), why players are on waivers (I have no idea what that is). I have a lot to learn.

And maybe through learning about baseball, I’ll start to enjoy watching it. If not, this is going to be a long season. Especially when it starts so darn early. Apparently tomorrow is TRUCK DAY. Time to hit the books.

4 comments:

  1. And so it begins. Good luck Alli and here is to me getting to watch a lot more baseball this year than last!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love blogs! And what a great premise. Lorelei and I will be reading with baited breath. Maybe watch Fever Pitch for inspiration :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a brilliant idea. I look forward to reading of your journey. Do you have a group on Facebook yet? I will become a fan ASAP. Good luck and keep up the blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alli,
    love the site and the concept behind it. i also love baseball....of course we now hate each other because i am a yankee fan. annabel and vivi can still be friends though, even if belly is a yankee fan too. just remember, to do this correctly you need to do much more than learn about the sox and watch all the sox games. you need to learn about all teams in the american east (at the very least). you need to watch sports center and/or baseball tonight. you need to watch mlb network. you need to get score updates sent to your phone. etc.. i just read this article, hope you enjoy it.
    have fun this season....go yanks!
    http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100218&content_id=8090554&vkey=perspectives&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

    ReplyDelete