Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Religious Experience

I may have my issues with the Catholic religion,* but here is something I do like. No matter where you travel or what church you attend, it’s always the same. In this hectic life where stress often gets the best of me, there’s something calming about all the ritual.

Fenway gives me a similar feel.** No matter what team they’re playing or how the Sox are faring, the program is always the same. Announce the visiting team the Red Sox, the umpires. Color guard marches onto the field, the anthem is sung, “Play Ball!”

Ahhhhh.

Tonight I was lucky enough to be on the Green Monster selling 50/50 raffle tickets for the Red Sox Foundation when David Ortiz hit his home run. Not sure what the church equivalent of that is. Being in the choir loft when Moses walks in?

Holy sacrilege! With that, goodnight. (I'm off to say my prayers for that one.)



*Don’t you hate when pinkhat gets all political?
** Don’t you hate when pinkhat compares religion to baseball? See http://www.pinkhatbluehat.com/2010/04/indoctrination.html

1 comment:

  1. Will, Spencerport NYJune 16, 2010 at 1:49 PM

    Pinkhat where have you been? Five days just too long to go without reading a new post. Of course God took six days to create heaven and earth (continuing religious theme).

    I am jealous. Need to get back to the Shrine soon. Thinking August, take my daughter to her first Fenway game (she's eight).

    ReplyDelete